After that, we moved on to Coder. Here is a good time for me to talk about why I chose Google Coder. In my previous blog posts I have mentioned that I met the founders of the program in NYC and that I discovered the program on the raspberry pi website. However, what I haven't said before is that I have actually created cases for the Raspberry Pi B+ and 2 from scratch. I have made each individual case by hand and measured all of the parts myself. They are made of clear and tainted acrylic and say Pi á la Code (with logo) and Google Coder on the side. They are also easy to take apart and put back together because they require to stick the faces of the case together. My goal is to sell these cases to fundraise for Pi á la Code. Another purpose is that when I leave one of these Pis in Kasauli (so I can continue to teach Web Programming from California), the students will know which one has Coder and how to start it up. When I go back to California after this trip, I hope to make a better, more streamlined version.
After we went through all of these files and the basics of Coder, we switched gears to creating our own apps. We began creating a basic flappy bird game, which we are going to finish virtually. Overall, the students had an amazing time. They loved how open and responsive everything was. Rather than python, which is not very visually appealing to code in, they really took a fancy to web programming. When I asked the class whether they preferred web programming or python at the end of the day, most of the boys said web, and most of the girls chose python!